Tuesday, June 25, 2013

SHOULD I?: A Review of MAC's Lady Danger

     I decided to call my product reviews 'Should I?'s because they only reason people look up reviews is to answer the question 'should I buy it or not?' Today I'll be reviewing MAC's 'Lady Danger' lipstick. 


                                       

     As seen above, Lady Danger is a matte finish lipstick. It is described as a 'vivid bright coral-red' on the MAC website, but I would like to refer to it as a 'hot red' instead. When I went to the MAC counter I swatched three different matte reds, Ruby Woo, Russian Red, and Lady Danger. The lipstick in question stuck out the most as it is the only orange based/warm tone red out of the three. After thinking about it for a spell I asked the MAC counter artist what she thought. Her question to me was if I minded a little orange in my lipstick. 

     Naturally, this scared the shit out of me. 






     I've never been anyone to wear a warm-toned lipstick because I am always afraid of the dreaded 'yellow-teeth' problem and always thought that warm-tone lips wouldn't work for my cool tone existence. However, working for Sephora has enlightened me that I'm neutral toned leaning a little bit more yellow than pink. (I originally wrote 'pank' and I don't know why.) So I figured, 'Why the hell not?' and decided to try it on. 



     I was pleasantly surprised with the color pay off and the vividness it had when I first put it on in the store and because it doesn't take much to sucker me into buying a bright lip, I purchased it immediately  (It was one of those days, y'know?).

     Conscious of my ability to chronically have dry lips I made sure that I exfoliated and moisturized my lips before putting this puppy on today. I did NOT use lip liner for the sake of seeing wear and tear throughout my time out this afternoon, but you're free to use lip liner. And would you look at that, it passed the yellow teeth test! (More or less.) 


Also, excuse my mild 'stache, I haven't bleached or removed in a bit. 

     I didn't notice any immediate dryness, though around hour four I could feel it settling and when I rubbed my lips together I know longer felt the pull of lipstick being on my lips. The crackliness that my lips tend to get when they're trying out felt apparent. I didn't have a decent mirror with me, but used my phone to check up on my color. After drinking a canned iced tea in blistering heat, I found little wear in the color pay-off and nearly no smudging (this was hour two). The lipstick remains matte and almost moisturizing (but perhaps that was from my chapstick before hand). 

After six hours, this is what I was left with: 


This was with light eating and drinking. 

     I feel like not enough blogs show you the 'after' picture, but whatever, I ain't go no shame. I think around hour four or five you would want to re-apply, right around when it starts to feel drying. I was impressed with the lack of dryness in this lipstick as I know that mattes from MAC do little to help out with flaky lips. It does tend to feather as it wears so if you're going to wear this to an event, I'd bring a little powder or concealer to clean up the edges, and of course, always use a lip liner first. 

     Overall, I'd say that this is a GREAT spring/summer shade in terms of red lipstick. I think it has the ability to remain classic while having a sassy fun edge to it. If mattes aren't your think but you like the color don't be afraid to throw a gloss on top of it! It wears beautifully! 

So: 

TL;DR 

SHOULD I? Yes! But only if you like a little orange in your lipsticks or are a fan of mattes. This is one of those colors you'd want to try on first and get a feel for. 

WHAT WOULD I WEAR IT WITH? For an everyday look, I'd pair this with a fresh face and lots of mascara, but I think you could wear it out with a coppery/gold eye and some brown smoked out liner if you were feeling frisky

I MEANT CLOTHES, STEFANI. With whatever! The cool thing about red lipsticks is that you can wear them with anything and they always look cool and like they're supposed to be there, even if you think they'd be out of place. Today, I wore it with a yellow t-shirt with maroon writing and some shorts, but its one of those lipsticks that you can dress up or dress down. Don't be afraid to be bold! ITS RILL CUTE, Y'ALL. 

And here's a gratitous selfie of me with Lady Danger on accompanied by my outfit and messy room: 


Love always,
A red lipstick hoarder with a lot of time on her hands: 








2 comments:

  1. love this post! i've been eyeing this lipstick and now I might just HAVE to buy it!

    themakeupsection.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just purchased this lipstick about 2 weeks ago ( along with ruby woo, myth, and diva) and I love it!! When mixed with myth you get a beautifully wearable coral as well!! Love love love Lady Danger :)

    ReplyDelete